I join Betsy and Jennifer.  I am 62.  I have been a librarian off and on for
a total of 19 years the last 18 consecutive.

I got my first computer in 1990.  I am the person on the campus that they
call first.  Other campuses call for help with AR and Circ/Cat fro FSC.  I
have been in this district 11 years.  My principal in the past has had some
one cover the library so I could go to a teacher's classroom and help them
become technology literate.  I do a lot of triage.  I amaze many teacher
because someone will stop me with a problem and I will tell them that I know
nothing about that piece of equipment, but if they will call 1-800- and ask
for Jimmy, John or who ever they can walk them through the problem.  My
first question is always have you unplugged and replugged the cables?
Reboot?  If it is a piece of av equipment I can take the cover off and
clean.  I can do the same with the computer.  I can reseat cards.  I am one
of the few people not in the tech dept that has the password for Helpdesk
and Administrator.  I will be the first to tell you that I will not touch
the servers or wires I have unplugged and plugger network drops, but only
with the Head tech guy on the phone.

Shirley Patrick, Librarian
Canton Junior High School
1115 South Buffalo St.