I like the idea of allowing groups of kids to select items that could
fit the bottles based upon the DDC.  This would be a great group
project with the students divided into smaller groups to collect items
to add to a specific bottle.  You could assign specific teams a DDC
class and allow them to locate items for the bottles.  Then students
would be able to guess to which DDC class the bottle belonged.  You'd
also have a large group of bottles to use as displays if you taught
more than one group to create this project.

Now.....

Taking this idea a bit further (as I'm always trying to incorporate
technology into a project), you could teach the DDC by allowing
students to create a digital scrapbook page that contained items /
images from that specific DDC class.  (I'm writing an article for
"Library Sparks" about using digital scrapbooks in the library----
February edition, if you're interested in learning more about how to
do this specific project).

Now, how would this be used at the circulation desk?  Let's take it a
bit further!!

Once the digital scrapbook pages are created, you could then save the
images as .jpgs and upload them to....a Digital Photo Frame (the
electronic frames that showcase your favorite photos!!).  Have the
digital scrapbook pages flash on the screen for 10-20 seconds and
students could stand at the circulation desk watching to see if they
could determine the DDC class by the photos shown.  (Of course, this
smaller presentation could also be used as a presentation to the group
as a whole---and later taken down and inserted into the smaller
digital photo frame for the circulation desk as a "review.")

(Also, don't forget...you can use this technique with MANY projects
involving recall of facts or review of information!  It's also a great
way to do some short book talks via the Digital Photo Frame!)

Talk about "subliminal instruction".....you'd be teaching and
reminding without saying a word!!  Cool mash-up, huh?

(If anyone is interested in learning how this project could be done,
let me know.  I'm still working on a new wiki that will include ideas
and resources for Digital Scrapbooks and I'll post the link when it's
finished.  Also, be sure to check out "Library Sparks" and the
February 2009 issue for great ideas---especially with the K-6
groups!!!

http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Production/LSP/pages/lsp_home.htm

Just a few thoughts!!

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

Resources for Texas School Librarians:
http://txschoollibrarians.ning.com/
http://txschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist